[kj] KJ DVD (sound and others)...

Jiri unspeakable at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 3 11:46:49 EST 2005

Tim Bucknall wrote:

>anyone think the DVD sounds a little crisper than the cd?

Yes, quite. I don't know if it's the 5.1 format allowing it to unleash
more or what...(I don't know diddly about that stuff, but I noticed it
sounded fuller, more dynamic, when I played it on the same system that I
had played the CD on.) A nice surprise.

Other nuggets of happiness from the DVD:
--seeing Ben's mad happy expressions while he's getting into some
classic Killing Joke drum patterns. Sure, that's what drummers generally
look like anyway, but his expressions appear to capture the moment in a
way that...well, put it this way--that's how ecstatic I would be if I
were in the same situation. It's good to see him seizing the moment. He
looks and sounds like a great fit.
--getting some nice closeups of Geordie's strumming. I could use even
more, but then I remember that not everyone cares. It's been said
before, but goddamn, so much going on there and yet he looks like it's a
walk in the park. My wife said "he looks like he's sleeping." I think
he's just in a heightened state, peaceful ecstacy.
--cool to see the light display and the projected images of old covers
and art like the Nervous System Centre Pointe building image. Gee, what
a good idea--maybe they should get Colesy to do art on the next album,
now there's a thought...

I was surprised that the "rock video"-like cuts and zooms to the beat of
the music didn't annoy me. I'd heard about them and worried about them,
but they're not too bad or too often.

On a serious note, I noticed during Total Invasion (I think), during a
just drums and bass part, they have a shot of Geordie downing a stiff
dose of (presumably) vodka. You see it in his face as he downs it.
Given  word about how much drink he downed on the 2003 tour, and that
he's sober now (still hopefully), well, that's a bit of a chilling shot
to record and publish for posterity. Watching it feels like seeing
family reunion footage of your alcoholic uncle. That's uncomfortable,
serious stuff. Hope all remains well, or at least better.