[kj] top 10, 2003 etc.

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 14:08:30 EST 2005

On 11/2/05, Alexander Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I've never really bought the whole excuse that OTG was a Jaz "solo"
> album, being that Raven and Ferguson were *initially* involved and that
> Geordie plays on it (though, by and large, you'd never recognize it).
> Calling it a Jaz solo record always struck me as rather revisionist.

It may have started out as a band project -- with Jaz taking an
unusually strong lead? -- but ended up as, essentially, a Jaz solo
record with guest shots from Geordie.  If the cover had said "Jaz
Coleman" rather than "Killing Joke", that would have avoided some bad
feelings from fans.  It would have for me.

In much the same way -- well, the opposite really -- these days a
rapper can do a so-called "solo" record that's produced by his crew's
DJ, and features other MCs from his crew on every track.

--Mark