[kj] projectile vomiting

Jpwhkj at aol.com Jpwhkj at aol.com
Tue Nov 1 17:01:52 EST 2005

Interesting question; I don't know the answer, but I suspect that some of the following might apply.

1. South Africa's apartheid wasn't dependent on an individual, whereas Zimbabwe's policies are very much dictated by Mugabe. I'd guess that many governments are simply hoping that he'll die or be overthrown soon, without them having to do anything too active.

2. Although the white farmers are indeed having a crap time, so are large chunks of the rest of the population (it's just that you tend not to hear about them in the western media) so although Mugabe is trying to present the whole thing as a race issue, it actually isn't about race so much as about general oppression. And governments are generally quite reluctant to overthrow regimes just because they're oppressive, because of course where do you stop? (They're hardly going to launch WWIII against the oppression of Tibet by, er, China, are they?)

3. What's Zimbabwe got that anyone else wants badly enough to get involved? That's right - nothing. I bet if Zim had serious oil reserves or whatever then we'd be hearing rather more about the need for action...

Why does everyone think that Mugabe is getting away with it?

Jamie