[kj] OT - Peter Murphy tour. .

Javier Garcia jagargal at lycos.com
Mon May 30 13:49:53 EDT 2005

> After Mexico City (known for it's exceptional lively "enthusiasm,"
> por no decirles fanaticos!),

Nice spanish sade1!!
Well, actually there are more enthusiasts than fanatics -per se- going to those gigs. There's a cult to many dark-gothic bands here (as in every where), and as Murphy being a darkie/gothic icon there are a lot of guys that still go to the shows only hoping to listen a couple of Bauhaus songs. But true Murphy fans?? i can bet there are a very, very few.

Funny, i was chatting with Bluce-Ree last friday and he told me something similar about the reaction of people but in this case with Morrisey when he visited Mexico City... he thought Morrisey was huge in Mexico, but he isn't; there have been only a few Morrisey songs on the radio and almost no Smiths stuff. The fact is that people go wild when they know some "famous/cult" singer or band is going to include Mexico in their tour. There's so many people that maybe just know Morrisey for a couple of songs and they go to the gig and scream and jump the hell out like true hardcore fans of the guy!!... but it's about fiesta!!.. besides you never know, it could be the only time that (in this case) Morrisey visit Mexico (he has only came once), so it may be a once in a lifetime oportunitie... it's the general feeling here.
Mexico is only starting to be an obligated place to visit for the bands... but ten years ago, the thing was very, very different. In the early eigties only Queen and The Police came to Mexico with a lot of disturbs. In the late 80's Rod Stewart came and sold out two arenas in a couple of days!!!. Mexico was eager for rock gigs... and we still are! That feeling of "younever know... maybe they never come back" it's a constant sensation when every artist visit this country, so -apart of our mexican celebrating/partying attitude in every show there's this feeling of 'this could be the last time...' so let's live it like it was.

Mis dos pesos.

Javier
mexico city