[kj] essential reggae/dub

mike coles mike at maliciousdamage.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 18:31:47 EST 2005

well now you've got me started

favourite reggae album ever?
culture - two sevens clash

the funny thing is, in the early 80s i had mate who worked for a
reggae import company who did me dozens of tapes of stuff that he
didn't write labels on, so half the time i didn't know who i was
listening to

but i'd recommend any king tubby, scientist, mad professor, toots,
mighty diamonds, jimmy cliff, aswad, augustus pablo, dennis bovell,
lee perry, sly & robbie, dave dee, dozy, beaky, mick & titch...

plus personal favourites
sly dunbar - sly wicked and slick
prince far i - cry tuff dub encounter part ii
twinkle brothers - countrymen
gregory isaacs - cool ruler
burning spear - chant down babylon [the island anthology]
black uhuru - liberation [the island anthology]

and for compilations:
the front line  - a 4-cd set from virgin

for the real pop pickers there's a 3-cd set called dynamite reggae
classics on decadance which includes:
ini kamoze - here comes the hotstepper
errol dunkley - ok fred
inner circle - i shot the sheriff
barrington levy - here i come
horace andy - ain't no sunshine
desmond dekker - you can get it if you really want it
dennis brown - money in my pocket
althia & donna - uptown top ranking

and just to show i'm not stuck in the past
dub solidarity - an absolutely brilliant 30-track compilation of
recent stuff on the dubhead label

and then there's the orb v killing joke but only me and alexP have
copies of that

i've also got, as if you care, dub versions of coronation street,
pink panther and sesame street

can we do the blues tomorrow?
i've got more blues than i've got reggae
then there's jazz...

i'll get me coat then...

dubnight all,
colesy

--
check out the shop at http://www.maliciousdamage.co.uk
if you want to receive the monthly malicious gossip tell us at
gossip at maliciousdamage.co.uk