[kj] [ot] misty

Jerry Butson jerrybutson at dtsonline.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 12:07:45 EST 2005

Shall I tell ya my Misty story then? My (then) girlfriend and I were
living in Reading around 1988 (she was at the university) and our
housemate, Jim, was Ents secretary for the SU bar. He booked Misty in
Roots for a gig and asked me to DJ (which was odd as I had very few
reggae records in my collection, a few Grace Jones 12" and some UB40).

I played as best I could to a largely indifferent response. I realised
Jim had stitched me up (the cunt) while he got pissed in the Mandela
bar. Then one of the band appeared and started rifling through my record
box. Pulling out "Private Life" by Grace Jones he said "at least it's on
the right label". Then, when he'd finished he declared "if Misty not
happy (with the crowd) Misty not play". Thus I had the responsibility of
the whole gig being cancelled on my shoulders.

This was not all bad, however, as Mr. in Roots then returned with some
Misty plates for me to spin. I got by with these and UB40's dubbier
moments, the crowd warmed and Misty came on to rapturous applause,
playing well past their allotted time and several encores. Phew! So
thanks Mr. Misty for your vinyl (which I still treasure), and no thanks
Jim (who at least had some interesting KJ bootlegs in his collection).

The end.

  _____