[kj] OT - Frnz Frdnnd

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 12:17:41 EST 2005

Bluce calls it "soulless".  To me it seems detached and sometimes
ironic, without going off the edge into self-conscious cheekiness.
But that's just me.

Franz Ferdinand acknowledge the Orange Juice influence.  I know that
name, but dont' remember much about the music, so I really couldn't
say one way or another.  It's also sometimes the case that someone
else gets it right the 2nd time around.

Right now I'm still enthusiastic and unrepentant.  We'll see what
happens with the next record.  Possibilities include: weak retread,
sophomore slump, failed experimentation, and a leap forward.  The
worst of it now is they are too precocious, which will go away.  The
next problem of course is overexposure.  I'm in the States and
actively avoid rock radio anyway -- a practice I highly recommend.

Which of those old bands do I owe it to myself to check out? (or
revisit) -- Orange Juice, Josef K?

Of the other recent bands all you in the UK must be tremendously sick
of by this point, I quite liked the Keane record.  It's far from
original, but a wonderfully-crafted pop record.

Ask about my TG bootleg collection if I've just wrecked my street cred.  ;-)

--Mark