[kj] Gigs, less violent...?

Devacor at aol.com Devacor at aol.com
Fri Mar 4 12:01:44 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/4/2005 4:22:43 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
robmartin at bluebottle.com writes:

The only  potential violence I remember from going to loads of UK Subs,
Damned, Dead  Kennedys, Anti Nowhere League, etc gigs was at my only
Crass  gig.

In the late eighties and early nineties in the states the hardcore scene on
the East coast was getting out of hand. I did the DC punk scene in the early
to  mid eighties and it had its share of violence but nothing like what was
going on  in the hardcore scene.
It got to the point where people were bringing chains, hammers and stun  guns
into the pit.
Unfor I had to work security some and deal with that crap. They really
needed to shake people down at the doors but they never did. Then there was my
lovely krishna friends cro mag roadies who would get excited and go into the pit
with an 8 ball in a sock, dance a jig and do some major swinging.
Major arm swinging, punching and karate kicking were  commonplace  dance and
became tame compared to the other stuff. It got  to the point where you would
sigh in relief and say "great, no stun guns, just  people kicking and beating
the shit out of each other.."
 Only time I broke a bone was a shattered my forearm on some poor kids  head
(accidently)- knocked him out and hurt myself pretty good.
 With all of that it seemed no one got seriously hurt or died. Though  I did
see a lot of people getting hurt just not major (except for a few times of
stabbings and shootings)
  One thing I noticed was that the kids who were brining chains and  hammers
in- they werent all that tough or the real deal- just out to prove  something-
 I dont think its nearly as bad now