[kj] Sound a disgrace/it's the amps stupid

fluwdot at earthlink.net fluwdot at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 2 12:38:44 EST 2005

it is the marshall pre and power amps which is destroying the sound!!

specifically marshalls are a very mid & upper mid biased amp and
those tones tend to muddy up things. marshalls are not known for
punch and clarity teh way burman's are. these frequencies pushed by
marshalls also tend to coax more feedback from geordie's harp.

his sound has been like this for fifteeen years and the marshalls
have been in the arse'nal for that period. the sound will never be
rich, clear, roaring and powerful until an amp designed for clean
power is used.

the burman amps had the most clean powerful punchy roar ever made and
this became the sound killing joke became known for. although they
are being made again http://www.burmanamp.co.uk/  unfortunately,
(geordie's old burman's could be refurbished/rebuilt/redesigned) for
some reason geordie and the burman folks have not been able to
reestablished a relationship.

before the 03 tour i passed geordie and raven gregg burman's email
and phone contacts. later as i spoke with gregg both on the phone and
via email, he mentioned that geordie and raven had contacted him and
would be coming up to newcastle for repairs and or new amps. it was
great news as we were hoping they could come together and fans would
be treated to the great clear powerful sound of pre 1990 joke.
geordie and raven where enthused to have reached contact with gregg
and were talking of things to come in terms of new amps for the tour,
likewise gregg was looking forward to the endeavour. alas, as i spoke
to raven and geordie on the 03 tour about burman, raven mentioned
sending an old burman he had just found to gregg for fixing, and was
hoping to use it for recording, that was good news...then i asked
geordie about his progress with burman, to which he replyed something
like "i talked to him a couple times and then he disappeared". anyway
geordie was in the process of snorting down a vodka tonic "the
stranger" just bought him and seemed annoyed so i didn't dig.

so....

it is possible all this occured before gregg had the full crew, parts
resources and tooling on board, so that may have had something to do
with it. what ever the reason it is very unfortunate.

regardless, currently geordie could get his old amps primed and ready
to storm the world but i would venture to guess he may have lost
patience or something.

the 03 tour was a blast and killing joke was magnificent in many ways
but most often the sound was an atrocious mess of feedback and
inarticulate riffs coming from the harp and the venues were engulfed
in it from start to finish. from the accounts of the current gigs,
nothing has changed, possibly it's worse?!

what's the point?

geordie's harp sound is the most important instrumental factor in the
killing joke
sound yet it clearly isn't right

and that sucks dino cock

On 2 Mar 2005 at 15:02, Phillipps Marc wrote:

>His tone comes across as being nothing special. Could just be me
>being a
snob, >but I think he's joined the lowest common denominator using
Marshall kit...

He seemed to find something of the old tone with Murder Inc by using
couple of Fender Bassmans (Bassmen?) . .