[kj] Kiss

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 29 08:08:28 EDT 2005

Well, I'm not going to try to suggest that Kiss were musical geniuses
--- like most other folks, I was probably attracted to them because
they simply looked "cooler" (to a youngster whose life was otherwise
ruled by comic books and science fiction) than anyone else. That said,
their first several records (the last really good studio one being LOVE
GUN) boast some top notch rock. Not quite orthodox metal, but great,
well produced, hook-laden, sturdy stuff.

I think they don't quite get the respect they might otherwise deserve
given their inherent silliness (lots of people refuse to get by the
make-up shtick and write them off as "kids stuff") and their relentless
and mercenary avarice. My biggest problem with Kiss these days is their
refusal to bow out gracefully and inability to say no to any scheme
that might involve them making a profit. They are -- pure and simply
--- whores. And that's a shame.

I will still always cherish my copies of their early records, though.

Alex in NYC