[kj] Your First "PUNK" Record?

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 29 07:56:39 EDT 2005

Sprung off from the earlier question, inspired by Antoni's post....

What was your first credibly (or arguably credible) "Punk" record?

My father was living in the UK as a foreign correspondent for FORBES
Magazine in the late 70's and befriended someone from CBS/Epic records,
who very nicely packaged up a box of promo LP's for myself and my
sister. In it was the first record by The Clash and PURE MANIA by the
Vibrators, both of which I initially listened to for only comedic
purposes ("heh heh, listen....they can barely play!"), until both
wormed their way into my subconscious.

The first "Punk" album I bought with mine own money was KINGS OF THE
WILD FRONTIER by Adam & the Ants (if that counts). My older sister --
who has since had an acute taste-ectomy and now listens to absolute
garbage -- used to be cool and brought home the first few albums by
Blondie, the B-52s, the Vapors and the Police.  She now listens rather
exclusively to coffee bar crap like Dido. A shame, really.

Alex in NYC