[kj] Youth

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 28 11:09:14 EDT 2005

I think Raven is "technically" the better player, but Youth had more definable style (I can't think of another bass player who sounds like he does on the first three records). Youth sounds more like he taught himself to play (i.e. "wrong" but cultivating an inimitable style). That said, I can't hear any of that style on PANDY through KJ2003, suggesting that his time away from the instrument may have have cost him that style.

Raven, by contrast, is a dependably competent player, and seemingly always has been.

ALex in NYC