[kj] Entertainment?

Rob rob at westwoodassociates.co.uk
Mon Jan 24 10:49:44 EST 2005

that's great, seeing them @ SBE on Friday.......

-----Original Message-----
From: gathering-bounces at misera.net
[mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net]On Behalf Of Graeme Rowland
Sent: 24 January 2005 15:55
To: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)
Subject: [kj] Entertainment?

Nice to see Gatherer Jane Shadforth at the Manchester
Gang of Four gig last night. It was a great gig by
another old post-punk group (like Killing Joke & Wire)
rediscovering what they did best. Most of the set was
unsurprisingly from the first two albums, although
there was one song I didn't recognise.

Is this entertainment? Jon King waving as he sings
about "Damage Goods" - "I'm kissing you goodbye!" But
it wasn't goodbye, and Gang of Four were always above
mere entertainment. They were soon back to report on
the worst thing in 1954, singing "I Found That Essence
Rare," the song that should've been their big hit in
an alternative reality where Little England was taken
over by commie squatters of anti-bourgeouis
egalitarian consciousness.

King's dancing is camp and hilarious. They might've
made a few trivial mistakes, bassist Dave Allen even
prematurely curtailing "Damaged Goods" during the
intro. "He made four mistakes and he wants to
apologise," guitarist Andy Gill humourously lambasted.
"That's nothing! Andy made sixteen!" retorted Dave,
and I wondered if Andy's antics on "He'd Send in the
Army" were intentional or if he had lost the plot. His
ponderous guitar plucking sounded like a brain damaged
smart bomb victim trying to recall a lost national
anthem, whilst Jon smashed a bar onto a board.
Songs I remember GO4 playing -

What We All Want
Not Great Men
Natural's Not In It
Return the gift
Paralysed
Ether
He'd Send in the Army
Anthrax
At Home He's a Tourist
To Hell With Poverty

We Live As We Dream Alone
Damage Goods

I Found That Essence Rare

=====
Cracked Machine irregular cyberzine
http://www.webinfo.co.uk/crackedmachine

"What one thinks of as extremes seldom are" :: BC Gilbert