[kj] Headcount!

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 11 19:08:54 EST 2005

I know this is sort've an after-the-fact missive, but as a show of
support to Malamage Damicious in the wake of the Great T-shirt Schism,
I sprang for both the Headcount album and the Battersea Shield disc.

First, some words about Rob's Arse's noisy mess: FUCK ME, THIS ROCKS!
Prior to this, I'd only heard the "Die Monkey Die" single, the Adam &
the Ants cover ("Stand & Deliver") and a track on that compilation from
many moons ago ("Red Mist" from the UNSIGNABLE compilation of Gathering
bands from back in 2000...for which I flagrantly over-wrote the liner
notes). In any event, while I'd always applauded those tracks, let me
just say that the entire album -- flushed with a manhandling by R A V E
N in the production department -- is a thing of burly, bruising beauty.
The track "1000 Miles" (not to be confused with the Proclaimers single
of the same name) even made my wee little daughter dance...albeit in a
spastic, arm-wavey manner that suggests something dangerously amiss in
the upper cranium. BUY THIS DISC, YOU CHEAP BASTARDS!

Still sinking into the Battersea Shield disc, but me likey so far!

Alex in NYC