[kj] 25th Anniv. Gig Artwork

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 28 19:00:19 EST 2005

This is, of course, a *SLIGHTLY* sensitive subject, given our
friendship and allegiance to Mr.Coles, but I was just curious as to the
wider opinion of the artwork that the `Joke are currently shilling.
Let's review, shall we?  Incidentally, I have no earthly idea who *DID*
handle the designs for the Anniversary gig...it very well may have been
a band member or even a Gatherer for all I know (though I strenuously
doubt the latter). In such instancea, I don't mean to slander anyone.

Black t-shirt: Same design as poster. Font that looks MYSTERIOUSLY
similar to Colesy's HEADCOUNT font. Color-scheme of Red, Black and
Green (I wonder who chose it? ::rimshot:::). Red, Black and Green? I
thought this was a KJ gig, not a Public Enemy show. Har Har. Legend
reads: "Twenty Five Years of Progress" in faux-Russian characters.
Well, technically twenty-six, actually...and there *were* some dry
patches wherein no progress was truly made. Let's be honest, shall we?
Images depicted: a speeding train (ummmm.....why?) and two jesters, one
brandishing a bomb-shell and wearing a gas mask. Design on back
features new KJ logo as quasi-Soviet insignia (not at all unlike the
Prong insignia circa RUDE AWAKENING). Coincidence?

Green t-shirt: Much more subdued. Same mystery font on front. Back
appended with individual runes to signify each band member (Jaz:
spider, Geordie: lizard, Raven: bird, Ben: bulldog) inna sort've Led
Zep four stylee.

The only reason I brought this up was that on Saturday, Mike was cool
enough to show Andy & myself images he'd been cooking up for the band
prior to the unfortunate fallout with Big Life. Let me just say that I
stunned how anyone could have passed these up. I'm not knocking the
designs that eventually came to be, but folks.....if you could've only
*SEEN* these pictures!!!! Suffice to say, they were something else.
Hopefully they'll surface somewhere someday, as it's heartbreaking that
Mike keeps them in cold storage on his computer.

Alex in NYC