[kj] OT Planespotting (queries)

antoni at clara.net antoni at clara.net
Mon Feb 21 13:53:35 EST 2005

RE: [kj] OT Planespotting (a tad long, sorry)Okay, to satisfy the curiosity of both Juliet & Lisa Gannon, I can confirm the following :

a) There was no sex in the prison van (at least between the Coppins - LOL). There was an Albanian man constantly throwing up. To be honest, the sight of Paul & Lesley squelching away would have had me heading for the sick bucket.

b) The whistling was actually something that did happen but I can't remember if we did it on that journey. More likely in the corridors of Nafplion prison. That and "The Great Escape" and I'd like to think that I was the catalyst for it all, cos that's my kinda humour.

c) There was so much artistic license, several times the characters appeared to be merged. For instance, the final impassioned defence speech by Paul Coppin never happened but our defence lawyer from Kalamata did deliver something very similar, which was quite impressive, so they rewrote history.

d) The only remark that my character uttered that I have any recollection of saying was about the first day incident at Tanagra where I said "oh, we're not going further down there are we" or words to that effect. Some 100 yards or so from the perimeter fence, Paul took the vans down a muddy sodden dirt track. Guess what ? We got stuck in the mud. Military jeeps came out & we were bundled off to the local station, cos it had been incorrectly reported by locals that we were taking photographs. Some 8 hours later & after being interrogated at length and processed films showed no photos had been taken, they said we are free to go (at 9pm) & they even advised us of local places to stay overnight. Not exactly how it was told in the drama !!!

e) With so much twisting of the facts, I think it comes across as about 90% fiction. Many folks I have spoken to at work agree with other's view here that the Coppins came across as very sad. Had I known how it would have been scripted, I would have refused to have taken part.

f) The money issue was swept away with a scene where the Coppins say that the Daily Mail has paid their bail money but we would have to find our own. This is an appalling continuity error as in order to be there talking with Lesley we would have already been released and therefore everyone's bail was already posted. Twats. Bail money comes back (or at least it should). It is not an issue but lawyers fees are.

Anyway, whatever, as folks say these days. F*ck 'em. Life moves on. We've got gigs to go to !

Regards,

Antoni

* http://home.clara.net/antoni/  *