[kj] OT unlikely pairs

iPat pmdavies at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 17:32:10 EST 2005

when i first invaded Aberdeen and set up my force of occupation, i
would go on a sunday evening to the Copper Beach in an area of
Aberdeen that i rarely go to. Bruce Mills was their roadie and sound
guy and i wouold sit with him. They are embarressed nowadays if i
start to sing Mountain rescue Man, one of their early numbers that
they quickly dropped.

I can remember Peel playing them later on. They supported the Clash at
the Inverness ice rink which passed off successfully till the end when
it kicked off and some serious rioting saw the Aberdeen contingent
usurp the pretentious Southern Scottish punks who had started it.

I an and co then travelled extensively through the US supporting the
likes of James Brown. Mike Craighead was part of the crew would bring
back the first chilli peppers 12"s. In aberdeen at this time you were
seeing the shamen begin.

Ian Slater approached me when they were involved in setting up
Drummonds, a bar with the intention of kick starting the music scene.
I had been instrumental in the underground punk gig scene and had set
up a initiative that still exists in Aberdeen that encourages local
sponsored unemployed projects to use music skills to help people
empower themselves. Ian asked me to run the security as i was working
the doors in  nightclubs but it wasnt the right time for me. I later
was involved but the people had changed.

The drummer, was it charlie? (im terrible with names) was a strange
one and the fact that we were into bikes was our only connection. The
guitarist...again names gggrrr...i still bump into at gigs when im out
but isnt doing anything anymore. Ian i think is in London. i see mike
but havent seen bruce for ages.

happy memories

--
iPat