[kj] The Parasapoll - Gentlemanly Repose

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 4 11:01:52 EST 2005

Have to jump in here --- If you folks are looking for a rock-based book
that provides chuckles, may I *HEARTILY* and *STRENUOUSLY* suggest --
nay, ZEALOUSLY ENDORSE --- "Gentlemanly Repose" by Mike Ruffino. Y'see,
Mike used to be the bass player of the Unband. That they happen to be
friends of mine should play no role in the equation. I met the Unband
when they were living on my friend Rob's couch in Costa Mesa,
California. They only managed to belch out two records -- which were
never going to vault them towards any semblance of stardom, but their
live shows were ceaselessly entertaining. In a nutshell, they were a
luckless garage trio who slugged it out in shitty clubs for far too
long before TVT irresponsibly signed them, graduating them into the
league of opening up for various metal has-beens  (*****HMMMMM, NOW WHO
ELSE DOES THIS SOUND LIKE????) like Def Leppard, Anthrax and Dio.

In any case, they broke up -- as ya do --  in a torrent of acrimony and
alcohol abuse (their talents for consuming all stripes of spirit and
narcotic stimulant were heroic). And Mike, belying his persona as a
filthy, slack-jawed rock pig, actually wrote a completely hilarious
account of the band's autumn years (sadly, neither my friend Rob nor I
get a mention, alas and alack.....the bastards. I do so crave
immortality!)

Anyway, I practically spat up a lung from laughter -- and decidedly NOT
because I happen to know them. It's funny as hell, and you could
probably finish it in a weekend.

GO GET IT!

Alex in NYC