[kj] (ot) Song sites face legal crackdown

Christof hamille wessidetempest at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 9 11:26:47 EST 2005

I am not entirely clear what they are going after.  In theory, if they are
going after music download then this falls in line.  But, correct me if I am
wrong, when yo buy sheet music you get a score of music with notes and
lyrics.  Often they do not have tabs (for people who are unable or lazy,
myself, to read muscial notes).

And this is where I get confused.  Aren't the majority of these sites just
lyrics?  Or just tabs?  Rarely have I seen a sheet music site.  But then
again I haven't looked much.

AND

If someone cannot read music then they will not be buying the sheet music.
You do not see a deaf person buying a CD.

AND

Is the sheet buying industry down because of the internet?  And anymore so
tehn any other type of media (newspapers, magazines, etc.)

How we consume information has been completely revolutionized by the
internet.  More frivilous information can be obtained through the internet
and not purchased.  And that is not absurd.  I have learned more about
bands, culture, movies, etc BECAUSE of the internet.  I am not going to go
out and buy anything for a minor curiousity (say for example about movie
stars.  Why buy a $100 refernce book just to figure out who the extra was in
Star Wars, I'll go to IMDB).

It just shows how desperate they are to hold onto their bloated system.
They have been ripping off the public and their artists for decades and now
they are being sent to task for it.

Chris