[kj] OT Hurry Caine

fluw fluwdot at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 31 16:14:07 EDT 2005

  fatty pot & lonestyle have it sussed but the corporate brain washing
has already occurred in the the most powerful/responsible nation and for
the planet inhabitants - it's too late, the culling has begun! will be
an interesting new century with all the assured destruction coming our
way..yehaw..lots of no school days coming for the youngsters

Katrina's Real Name

By Ross Gelbspan  |  August 30, 2005, Boston Globe

The hurricane that struck Louisiana yesterday was nicknamed
Katrina by the National Weather Service. Its real name is
global warming.

When the year began with a two-foot snowfall in Los Angeles,
the cause was global warming.

When 124-mile-an-hour winds shut down nuclear plants in
Scandinavia and cut power to hundreds of thousands of people
in Ireland and the United Kingdom, the driver was global
warming.

When a severe drought in the Midwest dropped water levels in
the Missouri River to their lowest on record earlier this
summer, the reason was global warming.

In July, when the worst drought on record triggered
wildfires in Spain and Portugal and left water levels in
France at their lowest in 30 years, the explanation was
global warming.

When a lethal heat wave in Arizona kept temperatures above
110 degrees and killed more than 20 people in one week, the
culprit was global warming.

And when the Indian city of Bombay (Mumbai) received 37
inches of rain in one day -- killing 1,000 people and
disrupting the lives of 20 million others -- the villain was
global warming.

As the atmosphere warms, it generates longer droughts,
more-intense downpours, more-frequent heat waves, and
more-severe storms.

Although Katrina began as a relatively small hurricane that
glanced off south Florida, it was supercharged with
extraordinary intensity by the relatively blistering sea
surface temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico.

The consequences are as heartbreaking as they are
terrifying.

Unfortunately, very few people in America know the real name
of Hurricane Katrina because the coal and oil industries
have spent millions of dollars to keep the public in doubt
about the issue.

The reason is simple: To allow the climate to stabilize
requires humanity to cut its use of coal and oil by 70
percent. That, of course, threatens the survival of one of
the largest commercial enterprises in history.

In 1995, public utility hearings in Minnesota found that the
coal industry had paid more than $1 million to four
scientists who were public dissenters on global warming. And
ExxonMobil has spent more than $13 million since 1998 on an
anti-global warming public relations and lobbying campaign.

In 2000, big oil and big coal scored their biggest electoral
victory yet when President George W. Bush was elected
president -- and subsequently took suggestions from the
industry for his climate and energy policies.

As the pace of climate change accelerates, many researchers
fear we have already entered a period of irreversible
runaway climate change.

Against this background, the ignorance of the American
public about global warming stands out as an indictment of
the US media.

When the US press has bothered to cover the subject of
global warming, it has focused almost exclusively on its
political and diplomatic aspects and not on what the warming
is doing to our agriculture, water supplies, plant and
animal life, public health, and weather.

For years, the fossil fuel industry has lobbied the media to
accord the same weight to a handful of global warming
skeptics that it accords the findings of the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change -- more than 2,000
scientists from 100 countries reporting to the United
Nations.

Today, with the science having become even more robust --
and the impacts as visible as the megastorm that covered
much of the Gulf of Mexico -- the press bears a share of the
guilt for our self-induced destruction with the oil and coal
industries.

As a Bostonian, I am afraid that the coming winter will --
like last winter -- be unusually short and devastatingly
severe. At the beginning of 2005, a deadly ice storm knocked
out power to thousands of people in New England and dropped
a record-setting 42.2 inches of snow on Boston.

The conventional name of the month was January. Its real
name is global warming.

Ross Gelbspan is author of ''The Heat Is On" and ''Boiling
Point."
For those who want to find out more about the developing movement to
stop global warming, go to www.climatecrisis.us
<http://www.climatecrisis.us>.

© Copyright 2005 Globe Newspaper Company.

*************
Ted Glick
973-338-5398
indpol at igc.org <mailto:indpol at igc.org>
P.O. Box 1132
Bloomfield, N.J.  07003

"How to bring into being a world that is not only sustainable,
functional and equitable but also deeply desirable is a question
of leadership and ethics and vision and courage, properties
not of computer models but of the human heart and soul."
     Donella and Dennis Meadows and Jorgen Randers,
     Limits to Growth: The 30-Year Update