[kj] OT John Loder RIP

Neil Perry neilfperry at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 30 10:08:06 EDT 2005

He used to be my boss when I worked at Southern (for
only six months, not being able to survive on what
they paid me...). He was a nice enough bloke but with
a conflicting attitude toward what he did; he wanted
press for his bands, but frequently would remove all
journalists from the guest list, and then complain to
me a week later that there had been no reviews in the
press. Sometimes he wouldn't even let us, the Southern
staff, go to the gigs for free, we had to buy our own
tickets if we wanted to go. I once had to deal with a
whole queue of journos outside a (sold out) Babes In
Toyland gig who couldn't get in cos Loder had ripped
up the guest list. I told them I couldn't get in
either, and was going home, and advised them to do the
same!

On my first day at Southern there was a bloke in my
office putting up shelves. I thought I recognised him,
and it was indeed the guitarist from Crass. He said
'Can I give you some advice about this place?' I said
sure, and he said 'Leave!'. Loder was a nice man but
he should have stayed in the studio twiddling the
knobs and not got involved with the business side!
Still, it was a fun place to work, Lee Scratch Perry
used to wander in and cause havoc. He was once caught
trying to put the house cat in the microwave, because
it had been sent by satan to ruin his work.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/story/0,,1552016,00.html#article_continue