[kj] ot- actual quotes from court

circuit bender circuit_bender at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 19:24:02 EDT 2005

cheers, I needed a chuckle.

fluw <fluwdot at earthlink.net> wrote:
These are from a book called Disorder in the American Courts, and are
things people actually said in court, word for word, taken down and now
published by court reporters who had the torment of staying calm while
these exchanges were actually taking place.

ATTORNEY:   Are you sexually active?

WITNESS:       No, I just lie there.
_____________________________
ATTORNEY:   What is your date of birth?

WITNESS:       July 18th.

ATTORNEY:   What year?

WITNESS:       Every year.
_____________________________________
ATTORNEY:    What gear were you in at the moment of the impact?

WITNESS:        Gucci sweats and Reeboks.
_____________________________________
ATTORNEY:    This myasthenia gravis, does it affect your memory at all?

WITNESS:        Yes.

ATTORNEY:     And in what ways does it affect your memory?

WITNESS:         I forget.

ATTORNEY:     You forget? Can you give us an example of something you
forgot?

____________________________________
ATTORNEY:    How old is your son, the one living with you?

WITNESS:       Thirty-eight or thirty-five, I can't remember which.

ATTORNEY:    How long has he lived with you?

WITNESS:        Forty-five years.

_____________________________________
ATTORNEY:   What was the first thing your husband said to you that morning?

WITNESS:      He said, "Where am I, Cathy?"

ATTORNEY:   And why did that upset you?

WITNESS:       My name is Susan.
______________________________________
ATTORNEY:   Do you know if your daughter has ever been involved in voodoo?

WITNESS:       We both do.

ATTORNEY:   Voodoo?

WITNESS:       We do.

ATTORNEY:   You do?

WITNESS:       Yes, voodoo.
______________________________________
ATTORNEY:    Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his
sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

WITNESS:  Did you actually pass the bar exam?
__________________________________
ATTORNEY:     The youngest son, the twenty-year-old, how old is he?

WITNESS:         Twenty-one
ATTORNEY:    Were you present when your picture was taken?

WITNESS:        Would you repeat the question?
______________________________________
ATTORNEY:    So the date of conception of the baby was August 8th?

WITNESS:        Yes.

ATTORNEY:    And what were you doing at that time?

WITNESS:        Uh....
____________________________________
ATTORNEY:     She had three children, right?

WITNESS:         Yes.

ATTORNEY:     How many were boys?

WITNESS:         None.

ATTORNEY:     Were there any girls?
______________________________________
ATTORNEY:    How was your first marriage terminated?

WITNESS:        By death.

ATTORNEY:    And by whose death was it terminated?
______________________________________
ATTORNEY:     Can you describe the individual?

WITNESS:         He was about medium height and had a beard.

ATTORNEY:     Was this a male or a female?
_____________________________________
ATTORNEY:     Is your appearance here this morning pursuant to a
deposition notice which I sent to your attorney?

WITNESS:        No, this is how I dress when I go to work.
______________________________________
ATTORNEY:     Doctor, how many of your autopsies have you performed on
dead people?

WITNESS:         All my autopsies are performed on dead people.
______________________________________
ATTORNEY:     ALL your responses MUST be oral, OK?  What school did you go
to?

WITNESS:         Oral.
_____________________________________
ATTORNEY:    Do you recall the time that you examined the body?

WITNESS:        The autopsy started around 8:30 p.m..

ATTORNEY:     And Mr. Denton was dead at the time?

WITNESS:         No, he was sitting on the table wondering why I was doing
an autopsy on him!
ATTORNEY:    Are you qualified to give a urine sample?

WITNESS:        Huh?
_____________________________________
ATTORNEY:     Doctor, before you performed the autopsy, did you check for
a pulse?

WITNESS:         No.

ATTORNEY:     Did you check for blood pressure?

WITNESS:         No.

ATTORNEY      Did you check for breathing?

WITNESS:         No.

ATTORNEY:     So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you
began the autopsy?

WITNESS:         No.

ATTORNEY:     How can you be so sure, Doctor?

WITNESS:         Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar.

ATTORNEY:     But could the patient have still been alive, nevertheless?

WITNESS:         Yes, it is possible that he could have been alive and
practicing law

http://mail.yahoo.com