[kj] burst harp

fluw fluwdot at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 18 11:37:21 EDT 2005

christ

this may seem trivial to some but misinfo is a cancer, so to make this
point clear, the 175 and 295 are the same dimensions, 16" wide X 20.5"
long X 3.5" thick, i know i have used both for 18 years,, further here
is a description of some distinguishing characteristics from a top
authority in the biz;
"In 1952 Gibson introduced two models with gold finish. The hollowbody
is essentially a fancy ES-175 with white pickup covers, a floral-painted
pickguard, and gold-plated hardware. The trapeze-style combination
bridge-tailpiece is the same as that of the gold-finish solidbody, the
Les Paul Model, except that the strings wrap under the tailpiece on the
Les Paul. The gold finish extends to the back, sides, and neck of the
ES-295; the great majority of gold Les Pauls have gold finish on the top
only. The ES-295 was discontinued in 1959" (George Gruhn and Walter
Carter, Electric Guitars and Basses: A Photographic History, p. 71)

if you are noticing a smaller dimension then you might be referring to
the es125 that G thorogood plays for example.they look similar but are a
thinner instrument -- back to front

to get a look at the 175 specs from gibson - see below. followed by the
rare clapton es295  sunburst page -- dimensionally these are the same,
the only difference other than the pickups of the later 175 model
featured is tailpiece and aesthetic detail
http://www.lovestreetgallery.com/4247.html

Size: 	16" wide x 20.5" long x 3.5" thick
Top Species: 	Curly Maple/Poplar/Maple laminate
Back Species: 	Curly Maple/Poplar/Maple laminate
Rim Species: 	Curly Maple/Poplar/Maple laminate
Binding: 	Multi-ply top, single-ply back

*NECK*
Species: 	Mahogany
Profile: 	Standard 175
Peghead Pitch: 	17°