[kj] O.T. Doors of the 21st Century

death wish dwish2000 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 10 13:30:19 EDT 2005

I thought Densmore was successfully able to stop them from using the Doors
name at all?

Here's the article from cnn on July 25th:

Touring Doors can't use band name
Band's ex-drummer wins permanent injunction

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- The former  drummer for the Doors won a
permanent injunction on Friday preventing his  bandmates from using the rock
group's name while touring with a revamped version  of the legendary 1960s
act.
The Los Angeles Superior Court order also requires keyboardist Ray Manzarek
and guitarist Robby Krieger, who have been touring as The Doors of the 21st
Century, to turn over all the profits earned by the new combo to the
original
Doors partnership.
The decision represents a major victory for Doors drummer John Densmore, who
told Reuters he was concerned that the band's legacy was being tarnished by
its  reincarnation as an oldies act.
Manzarek and Krieger, along with British singer Ian Astbury (formerly of the
Cult) subbing for the late Jim Morrison, are touring Canada as headliners of
the  "Strange Days" festival, which also features such bands as Steppenwolf,
the  Yardbirds and Vanilla Fudge.
"They're playing Doors songs and calling themselves the Doors of the 21st
Century. I kinda think it's the 19th century, it's looking back," said
Densmore,
who plays original music with his own band Tribal Jazz.
He teamed up with Morrison's estate -- represented by the parents of both
Morrison and Morrison's late wife, Pamela Courson -- to sue Krieger and
Manzarek
in early 2003.
Under an agreement struck in 1971, the year Morrison died in Paris, all
three
surviving members as well as the Morrison estate must sign off on any use of
the  Doors name and logo.
"I'm very pleased that, in my opinion, the legacy is preserved," added
Densmore. "I never intended for Ray and Robby to stop playing -- they're
great
musicians. I hope Doors fans keep going to see them -- it's just the name is
owned by me and them and the estate of Jim Morrison, and they kinda ran off
with
stolen property."
Densmore estimated that Manzarek and Krieger have earned "millions and
millions of dollars" on the road in recent years, more than the original
band  ever
made.
A management representative for Krieger and Manzarek in Los Angeles did not
return a call.
The Doors rose to fame in the late 1960s with such songs as "Light My Fire"
and "Touch Me." After Morrison, their provocative frontman and self-styled
"lizard king," died of a heart attack, the band eventually folded.
Its mythology exploded with the 1980 publication of the Doors biography "No
One Here Gets Out Alive" and then with Oliver Stone's 1991 movie "The
Doors."
The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993, with the
three members reuniting for a few songs behind Pearl Jam singer Eddie
Vedder.