[kj] O.T. Doors of the 21st Century

P Bernardi phantasmas at erols.com
Wed Aug 10 12:25:02 EDT 2005

For those not in the know; Ray Manzerek and Robbie Krieger are touring
as the doors w/ Ian Astbury of the Cult on Vox. They played in D.C. last
night and a friend had an extra ticket.

Astbury's hair, clothes and mannerisms were manufactured to imitate
Morrison and I thought that it came off being cheesy. But everyone else
in the crowd seemed to love it. (Before the show starts Astbury
announces its good to be in the city of the founding fathers - but I was
like "ummmmm, I think that was philly).

After a couple of songs, ( roadhouse blues, Break on through, a really
long ass version of When the Musics over ) - Manzerek introduces the
band and then took some subtle digs at ex drummer John Densmore.

Some of the song selections were questionable - I wouldve preferred to
hear People are Strange or Unknown Soldier instead of Love me Two Times
or Back door Man.

The best was at the end when they played Touch Me, followed by L.A.
Woman and for the encore Light My Fire. Im not a major fan of Light my
Fire but Krieger did play an impressive solo for that song which
included the melody to "A few of my favorite things".

Tonight the NY Dolls are playing but Im skipping them having already
seen Slyvain Slyvain solo twice.