[kj] ot: System of a Down.

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 2 13:49:06 EDT 2005

I heard their new single and quite enjoyed it. It did seem to be like 'Chop Suey' only more so, however; I hope that isn't their preferred direction from now on.

On an entirely separate note, I've heard Goldfrapp's new single for the first time today, and, similarities to 'Spirit in the Sky' notwithstanding, I was very impressed. It's the second song by them I've heard, the first being 'Strict Machine'. However, I only discovered that it was actually by Goldfrapp today, so it's been something of a day for revelations. Anyway, I'm now damnably interested in hearing the rest of Goldfrapp's back catalogue. It will have to wait because each of the few pennies I have must be spent on the current book, but I'll be looking out for them in the future.

Jim.

Alexander Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net> wrote:

I had to write about these guys this week for my weekly idiocy in THE
NEW YORKER and dug some of their stuff out for the first time in a long
while. I haven't heard anything off of their new record (though I think
it boasts some of the weakest cover art of the last decade), and I've
always been somewhat put off by their ties to whistleheaded "nu metal",
but damn if "Chop Suey" from TOXICITY isn't just a striking piece of
music. When they hit those high harmonies in that middle-eight (01:56)
and again towards the finale (02:51), augmented by the piano? Holy
shit, I almost well up and cry. I find it strangely affecting.

Has anyone heard their new one? Is it worth checking out?

Alex in NYC