[kj] First amongt equals

peter.west410 peter.west410 at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 25 10:56:10 EDT 2005

> By the same token the "developed" world never woke up one morning and
thought "I know, nuclear fission!" . .

*********No, It has been a gradual transformation********

> Society is advanced by need, if you're happy with your life and the way
things are maybe a slightly different way of catching fish is all the
> advance you will see during your lifetime. This doesn't mean the society
is in anyway backward though, it's just a different set of values.

 **I never said it was backward.Undeveloped was the word i used**

> This is maybe not a good example though, it seems pretty clear that the
only way "developed" society maintains its longevity is by exploiting the
"less developed"

******I have seen this claim many times,Maybe Im ignorant but i fail to see
it.How is the third world being Exploited on such a grand scale?I realise
that it must happen to a degree as it does in all walks of life.
   But is it really such a big issue? And surely the rich countries
contribution to the poor countries out weighs these differences***

> Also, the increased age span of Western society is bringing its own
problems in terms of the growing drain on the finances due to the life span
of the retired (remember 65 was an arbitrary figure for retirement based
purely on the fact that most people at the time would not exceed 5 years
past their retirement age)
> >From an evolutionary point of view increased longevity does not advance
society, it probably hinders it in truth.

*******There are plans to move the retirement age to 70/65(male/female) in
the UK,And no doubt that as  the populations longevity increases so will the
retirement age.*******

   (P.S. I did say earlier that I know why some societies have developed and
why some havent.(CAN SOMEBODY ASK ME TO TELL THEM THE REASON WHY!!!!)

             PW