[kj] First amongt equals

Phillipps Marc Marc.Phillipps at enfield.nhs.uk
Mon Apr 25 10:32:10 EDT 2005

>I dont think their societies  ever took a collective decision not to
>progress,they just did nt and I know the reason why.

By the same token the "developed" world never woke up one morning and
thought "I know, nuclear fission!" . .

Society is advanced by need, if you're happy with your life and the way
things are maybe a slightly different way of catching fish is all the
advance you will see during your lifetime. This doesn't mean the society is
in anyway backward though, it's just a different set of values.

>But one yard-stick could be that "developed" people have a much longer
>life-span then the "less-developed"

This is maybe not a good example though, it seems pretty clear that the only
way "developed" society maintains its longevity is by exploiting the "less
developed"

Also, the increased age span of Western society is bringing its own problems
in terms of the growing drain on the finances due to the life span of the
retired (remember 65 was an arbitrary figure for retirement based purely on
the fact that most people at the time would not exceed 5 years past their
retirement age)

>From an evolutionary point of view increased longevity does not advance
society, it probably hinders it in truth.

& Haringey Health Communities.