[kj] Hamburger Lady????

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 16 06:25:17 EDT 2005

While it might sound like "Hamburger Lady" is just an excercise in exploitative gross-out ala the works of Cannibal Corpse, Cradle of Filth and their ridiculous ilk, scratch the surface and there's a lot more going on. Like the best art, it's open to a myriad interpretations, and speaks to people on different levels.

Consider this assesment culled from a discussion I started on ILM, when I pitted the Throbbing Gristle track against another notorious "scary" track, "Frankie Teardrop" by Suicide. One contributor quite eloquently posted:

"'Hamburger Lady' is a greater achievement.  'Frankie...' is a little maudlin, a little histrionic. [Suicide vocalist Alan] Vega, in character, combines the self-disbelief and dismay of [the song's protagonist,] Frankie with a sort of writerly, crime fiction/Capote narrative. [Throbbing Gristle vocalist, Genesis] P.Orridge, on the other hand, is entranced, hypnotised, and fascinated in 'Hamburger Lady'. Time seems to be slower. It is a creepier song about a kind of horror that is more extreme than Frankie's, as it is about the preservation of life in pain, not the sudden extinction of life. It is just as common as the Frankie situation, but just more ignored by the lazier writers - because writers like to draw on what they've read.

Characteristically, Genesis's fascination has a certain unlikely compassion within it. His attentiveness holds humility and respect. Musically, TG present the situation as deeply evil. The dreamy urban nightmare they create as the musical backdrop, like an opiated ambulance in a nightmare, is meant to convey that the sitation is repellant and unnecessary. I think they make their point. It's a moral song with a specific intent - it is in favour of euthanasia.

Genesis's gaze is on the patient. He is definitely not turning away, but taking it wholly into his being. This is better, I think. Less actorish. "

Alex in NYC