[kj] OT: going to the movies

Jiri unspeakable at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 15 11:39:19 EDT 2005

Interesting...yes, I suppose with so many involved in a film, there
always will be disappointing bits in even your favorite film.

The Thin Red Line is a perfect experience for me, though. Not a
hero-based war film, but rather a "killing joke" sort of war film. (in
the sense of Jaz's old quote: "Imagine a soldier in  the trenches in WW
1. He's just been told to run over and gain, say another 15ft of land
and he knows he's going to die, and he  suddenly thinks that there's
some fat cunt back in Westminster  controlling his life, and he feels a
bit of a mug. That feeling is the killing joke. You can apply the
killing joke to everything."
http://www.radcyberzine.com/text/non-rad/kj.81.int.html). The Thin Red
Line captures all the absurdity of being a form of life, in the middle
of beautiful nature, while being a disposable cog in a war machine. The
film of course bored all my friends to tears, but I could watch it again
and again.

I could also watch  Monty Python films or, sadly, "Fletch" over and over
again...