[kj] Celtic Frost as Match-Breaker

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 14 19:22:52 EDT 2005

It was all for the best, really. We had zero in common. I'm a music geek, and she didn't even own a radio. She loved sports, I have nothing but abject contempt for all jocks. She didn't like going to movies, because she resented having "one of her senses totally dominated" (or something). She was also hugely religious, although she was very sexually aggressive (quite a paradox.....which is why I was hanging out with her to begin with, and willing to put up with all the other shenanigans). So, at one point, she was trying to get inside my head and learn what it was about this music stuff that I loved so much, and there she was -- flippin' through my LP's (remember those?) Out she pulls TO MEGATHERION and *literally* clasps her hands over her mouth ("speak no evil" stylee). She also drops it like it was radioactive or something ("touch not the unclean thing" I guess). Now, after fourteen years of Catholic education, blasphemy is just about my very favorite thing in the entire world. So, basically, I said, "Sally, if the very thing that I find so hugely amusing totally horrifies you, then clearly we are not meant to be together".  And so it was.

She got hers back, though. About a year later, after I'd been summarily dumped by a woman from my office I'd been foolishly dating (never do this), I was walking around Central Park in the rain, drenched and feeling sorry for myself. I'm limping up Fifth Avenue looking like a waterlogged homeless person (think the cover of `Tull's AQUALUNG), and along comes Sally with a Christmas themed umbrella, carrying a mini-Christmas tree. She practically shouted "HA!" at me. Ah well.

Give me Tom Warrior over a religious sports-fan with a cinema hang-up any day.

Alex iN NYC