[kj] ot: Throbbing gristle

Christof hamille wessidetempest at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 13 09:37:50 EDT 2005

First off let me sate that I loved Throbbing Gristle.  When I was younger
that was a major part of my music listening.

With that being said Throbbing Gristle is turning, in a alternative way,
into a Grateful Dead or Frank Zappa.  After their demise all of these
recordings and releases become recycled and rereleased. BUT the major
difference between them is that Grateful Dead and Frank Zappa have a massive
studio recorded catalog.  Throbbing Gristle do not.  6 albums.  Maybe.
Officially.  I can't tell you how many live shows that I have that are the
same thing.  And honestly once you have heard one good one you have heard
most of the others.  I am imagining that Throbbing Gristle live was more of
an experience that audio treat (like any good live rock album).

I have become slightly digusted at how Mute is trying to cash in on this and
rarely produce the goods.   The live boxset is not necessary.  And it kind
of goes against what Throbbing Gristle was doing at the time.  From my
understanding they did intentionally record the majority of their shows to
be released on cassette tape to the fans/army/followers/whatever.  Similar
to what Legendary Pink Dots still do (but on CDR).  Meant for obessive fans
and to remeber the date.  Not to make a living and cash in.

Get the official albums.  Get 2-4 live albums and you are done.  You don't
need every live album and really you don't need every recorded album

Chris