[kj] BTATS symbol - again

Phillipps Marc Marc.Phillipps at enfield.nhs.uk
Tue Apr 12 10:46:12 EDT 2005

>For example on signs for toilets in bars,they have symbols for" Men" and
>"women",And these symbols are getting more and more abstract,And i ve
>actually chosen the wrong option on three separate occasions

That is your excuse and you're sticking to it . . . ;o)

The reason that symbols are used more than (and in conjunction with)
language is to cross the barriers that language to set up . . a toilet with
a picture of a man on it (no matter how abstract) at least gives the
Japanese tourist a fighting chance of choosing the correct one.