[kj] Jaz would nt appreciate this article

Robert Martin robmartin at bluebottle.com
Wed Apr 6 08:08:56 EDT 2005

I've got to ask this question:
What is/was the point of this topic?
Is it supposed to be saying to us all that anyone earning more than
say 50 grand a year (or whatever) should give it over to an
organization to re-distribute it to the poorer nations?
A rich persons tax, say.
If so, and you earned more than 50 grand, would you be happy to hand
it all over?
It sounds like the most unrealistic thing I've heard for ages.

I give monthly direct debits to 3 charities every month and that helps
me to sleep at night slightly easier in the knowledge that if everyone
did the same, it would go a massive way to sorting out the mess.
I guess this is just me justifying my relatively large earnings
compared to many others in the World.

I just wish that when people come out with this unrealistic bullshit,
they would put themselves in the place of Bill Gates or whoever and
ask themselves if they would give it all up if they were him.
Why should he or any other person who has EARNED a large amount of
money by hard work or making excellent decisions feel guilty enough
to give it all away?
How many times have you heard of people saying that if they won a
million pounds, it wouldn't change them, only for them to change
completely when they've become millionaires.
We all think we'd do things differently but I think you don't know the
truth until you have the huge amounts of dosh.

Rob Martin

Quoting gathering-request at misera.net: