[kj] Jaz would nt appreciate this article

Javier Garcia jagargal at lycos.com
Tue Apr 5 19:27:58 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "peter.west410" <peter.west410 at ntlworld.com>

> ...Yes.There are poor people,But not as poor as they used to be.
>     Did nt lots of people starve in the 30s in USA?The Depression.On the
> Waterfront, ect ect.

You got a point, that may be true: it seems there are few extreme poor people. A very few percentaje of the people in the world die because they are poor (starving)... I can't assure it, but it seems to be this way. At least there hasn't been another "USA for Africa"or things like that.

Still, the DVD's, cell phones, digital cameras, game consoles, etc. are technological devices that are supossed to get cheaper after the years. You don't pay the "new technology charge" after the years. It's like Cable TV (in my country), I remember when I was a kid it was expensive and only the "high class" could afford it. Beside there wasn't a big radio of service in the city, only a few nice privileged neighborhoods could apply. Now almost every one with TV has cable. The big difference is that now it's cheaper and the coverage includes the whole Mexico city and the suburbs. It's not exactly that the poorer are leaving their condition of poor to low-mid-class, it's that the cable service is more accesible (not to the poor but to the whole mid class).

Still, the poor people in the US and/or (i guess) in the UK are far wealthier than poor people in Mexico which at the same time are wealthier than poor people in 3rd world countries in Africa or Asia.

Why don't we just wave our hands and sing:
We are the world
we are the children...

Javier
mexico.city