[kj] Look Familiar?

fluwdot at earthlink.net fluwdot at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 4 11:59:57 EDT 2005

scotty played an es295 for first group of elvis recordings at sun -
the impetus of elvis, scotty and bill's historically high profile
version of rockabilly. which is often inaccurately ( rock n roll was
created in new orleans) stated as the birth-point of rock n roll.

so the guitar does deserve it's fame.

scotty used other guitars live and on rca, but the es 295 was the
guitar at sun for the elvis sun sessions.

side note, scotty did not use a 295 with a bigsby tremelo, as
blaringly depicted on the sign. his was like geordie's - with the
trapese wraparound-bridge tailpiece combo. later, scotty put a more
conventional gibson tailpiece and bridge on it, then retired it for
good less than a year later.

On 4 Apr 2005 at 14:22, Phillipps Marc wrote:

> http://www.rockabillyhall.com/Sun2001PixBldgFrnt.jpg
>
> the infamous sun Studios (I shouldn't have to explain it) has a
gigant ES
> 295 sitting outside above it as part of their signage.
I have always found it strange that the 295 is synonymous with Scotty
Moore when he really only played one for a short time . .
They should have a big Super 400 out there