[kj] LET WEST STAY

Jerry Butson jerry at fleamusic.co.uk
Mon Sep 20 10:06:55 EDT 2004

Well you did have a habit of rubbing people up the wrong way (me included).
But, yes, Tim Robinson is a twat.

As for 4 Beginners it's for beginners in that it looks beyond the obvious
singles, a fact that the reviewer chose to ignore. It's intended to promote
the album catalogue after all. If you want the singles they're available on
other releases. Complaining about the exclusion of Eighties...for gawds
sake!

As for being 'philosophical' then yes! I was attempting to put across the
lyrical philosophies that Jaz returns to time and time again, as well as the
musical ones (tribal drumming, dissonant guitar, the bass propulsion
system). There's a definite thread running through their remarkably cohesive
body of work. Again the reviewer chose to state the obvious (by way of
'review') and ignore the deeper currents.

I feel a First Letter coming on...