[kj] OT: duty

Patrick Davies Patrick.Davies at subsea7.com
Fri Sep 17 05:30:47 EDT 2004

"I dutifully perform my role as a juror."

I find this more interesting than some of the other rantings going on
between/against people.

If anything I see within the UK more and more not considering 'duty to
the state' as something so important as perhaps in days past.
Personally, as someone who was heavily involved in the punk lifestyle,
the protests against the state over nuclear weapons and war, the miners
strike and the general acceptance that whoever is seen as being a ruler
of this land is merely a puppet for a state of affairs that has its
interests in maintaining the status quo that gives it its very
authority.

To then participate with the state in the process of state control
through the courts as a course of 'duty' seems to be a misconstrued
ideal.

Now im not endeared with the little junkie that breaks into my house to
satisfy his habit, nor am I willing to turn my back on punishment of
child molesters and murderers and it may be more prudent to be available
than face the penalties for contempt of court. However the vast majority
of court cases are a result of the scourge of poverty and while that may
not excuse the actions of stealing from ones neighbour it does question
what duty I have to serve a state that serves the privileged at the
expense of the impoverished.

I can understand that people see this differently but am surprised when
they express the appreciation for bands that range from DK - JB lyrics
more to the point - to Crass.

iPat
Communication is complicated. Each person is raised in a different
family with a different definition of each word.