[kj] OT The Melvins & Jello Biafra in Detroit 9/11/04

Christof hamille wessidetempest at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 12 10:15:30 EDT 2004

Some of you may know my appreciation for th eMelvins.  I honestly cannot
tell you how many times I have seen them.  Well last night they were back.
They played for about an hour and then (King) Buzzo speaks.  A lot.  Which
is super rare.  He described how the drummer Dale played his first Mevlins
show 20 years ago that night.  Everybody hoots and hollers.  And then he
says and we have a special guest Joe Patanio.  Or something.  I thought he
was talking about the newsih bass player.  Honestly I wasn't paying real
close attention.  Throwing down a beer and looking at a poster.  My wife
looks at me and says "That is Jello Biaffra".
We head up to the stage.  They bust into a song off of their upcoming
album..  It is called McGruff the Crime Dog.  Then it hits... California
Über Alles.  Complete with revised lyrics to reflect Governor Schwarzenager
(spelling) and the Iraq/Iran/Bush situation. Another new song and then the
slower song atthe end of Bedtime for Democracy.  I cannot remeber the name
it has been 10+ years since I have heard it.  But let me tell you they
pulled it off beautifully.  Of course the new songs sound pretty typical of
Jello's style.  To me the DOA, NoMeanNo and Ministry/Lard collaboration
sound very similar.  But that is okay it Jell and now the Melvins.  I am not
sure if this appearance was because it was 9/11 or what.  But I do not that
it is extremely rare for Jello to do musical shows anymore.  Much less Dead
kennedys material.  He was in fine form.  A little older, and heavier and
some hair gone but it was still great.  If the Melvins are coming through
you may want to investigate to see if he is there.  It will be a great
excuse to see a band that is already top notch.

End report

Chris