[kj] Oi Tinsoldier.You aint filled in a poll yet

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 12:54:49 EDT 2004

I didn't do this poll (yet) either...

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 12:42:14 +0100, peter.west410
<peter.west410 at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> 1. Name

Mark Paul Kolmar

> 2. Reached 30 yet?

Yes, 36

> 3. Kids?

Not that I know of. I think that's a safe "no".

> 4. Location

Schaumburg, IL, USA, in the middle of the great sprawl of Chicago

> 5. Fave KJ song

I can't choose just one, but I'll say "Love Like Blood" for the sake
of discussion

> 6. Fave KJ album

probably _what's THIS for...!_

> 7. Fave KJ member

the one on the front cover of _Outside the Gate_

> 8. Aspects of last album you would like to see featured in the next one

recording studio used as a tool for composing and arranging

> 9.  Aspects of last album you would like to be abandoned for the next one

no factory synth presets or bad orchestra samples next time

> 10. Will this 25th anniversary gig ever happen?

No.

> 11. Should Fire Dances and HA! be re-released as a combined CD (like the
> cassette)?

what about as a bonus CD

> 12. Should Love Like Blood be re-issued as a single for its 20th
> anniversary?

no

> 13. Would it chart again?

define "chart"

> 14. Most under-rated KJ song

"Madness"

> 15. Most over-rated

"Tabazan"

> 16. 3 bands you would like to see on the same bill as KJ

Manic Street Preachers
Sophia
an ad hoc group from the Def Jux label (e.g. Aesop Rock, El-P, and Mr. Lif)

> 17. Last album you bought

Cut Chemist, _The Litmus Test_ (more of an EP really)

> 18. Last film you saw

The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah)

> 19. Last book you read

For the amount of reading I do, I get through surprisingly few books.
Lots of news stories, op-ed pieces, policy analysis pieces. I've been
meaning to read the 9/11 Commission Report cover to cover rather than
only portions.

> 20. Next album you're going to listen to

very likely Rob Sonic, _Tellicatessen_ (new on Def Jux)

> 21. What contemporary bands do you rate

no particular order!

White Stripes -- Quite original in the sense they go back to the
origins, mostly ignore everything since, and fast forward to the
present day

Franz Ferdinand -- A few acquaintances were hyping them, with good
reason.  I picked up their full-length a few weeks ago, and was
immediately impressed enough to seek out their EPs. They are a little
precocious, but seem likely to mature in even more favorable
directions.  Much better than several other neo-post-punk bands
because these guys have the songs.

El-P -- ex Company Flow. His full length _Fantastic Damage_ is a great
example of an anti-"party album" in the hip hop world.  Most of the
stuff on his Def Jux label is worth checking out, esp. Aesop Rock,
Cannibal Ox, and the label compilations.

Snow Patrol -- their most recent and most accomplished record takes
their stock higher than expected (though I was a fan before), and one
can hope this is not a fluke

Madlib -- and his 1001 aliases and side projects (Lootpack, Yesterdays
New Quintet, Jaylib, Madvillian, Quasimoto, Malik Flavors, DJ Rels,
Joe McDuphrey Experience, to name a few)

> 22. Your all-time favourite bands

Cabaret Voltaire
Throbbing Gristle
Killing Joke
Peter Gabriel
Pink Floyd
The Smiths
Prefab Sprout

among many others

> 23. Your 8 "Desert Island Discs"

Gustav Mahler, Symphony #3, conducted by Jascha Horenstein
plus 7 other titles to be named later

> 24 Favourite sports team

n/a