[kj] RE: Rush debate & KJ top 5

Robert Martin robmartin at bluebottle.com
Tue Sep 7 07:31:14 EDT 2004

Two things:
I feel kind of guilty for sparking the whole Rush debate, although
what is the harm in just discussing stuff??!!
I know where people are coming from when they say anti-stuff about
them.
The old stuff does sound a bit dated unless you are well in to them.
My 15 year old son just laughed when he first saw a video of 'The
trees' but now can't stop playing it.
I would love to get people to at least listen to any album from 'Hold
your fire' onwards, as I think that one and 'Presto' are the best
albums ever made, the latter certainly has the best lyrics ever
written (IMHO).
The problem with this view of trying to convert people is that, that
is what all those arseholes who drive along the street with their car
windows wound down and pumping out thei music taste at full volume
are probably trying to do and, if I'm honest, what I used to do as a
teenager at home with my windows open - playing KJ albums at full
volume.
I don't know what made me think that old gits walking down the street
would knock on the door and ask me if they could borrow the Stiff
Little Fingers album 'Inflammable Material', or KJ's first album
etc.

I guess all I can do is recommend Rush to non-believers and let them
decide for themselves.

Now, on to part 2:
How do you all come up with top 5s or top 10s?
Whenever I play an album it suddenly takes over as the best album,
with exceptions obviously.
Certainly there are about 20-30 albums which are my faves, although I
would repeat that the two Rush albums above are the only ones I could
certainly say are my fave two.
As for KJ tracks, it totally depends on the album I'm playing at the
time.

That's my latest inject finished with.
Stepping down from the soapbox now.

Regards