[kj] RE: Introduction

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 16:18:39 EDT 2004

During high school I was a (almost "the") new wave and post punk fan,
in a neighborhood with a lot more fans of Rush and Led Zeppelin.  I
always loved the Zeppelin FM radio classics, which is about half of
every album.  I used to have that 4CD box and a couple of LPs, but
then I got the complete CD box for cheap and sold the smaller box.  As
for Rush, I signed on at about _Permanent Waves_, and signed off again
after about _Power Windows_. I wouldn't figure they have done anything
in that long that would thrill me, but I'm sure it's all quite
skillful. Those records are a good listen -- where they slimmed down
the tracks ever so slightly, and before it got completely tired. Part
of the appeal is the positive association around growing up with the
stuff. A lot of acquaintances didn't care for _Signals_, but I liked
that change at the time.

I found Pink Floyd through my cousins and they've always been a
favorite band out of that whole "classic rock" element I grew up in.

Also, without any expectation to settle this issue, I'll stand up for
Midge Ure-era Ultravox. That's not to take anything away from John
Foxx either.

--Mark