[kj] Nouvells vague

Ed messageobliquespeech at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 2 05:00:19 EDT 2004

Haven't been through the hundreds of posts yet but have you heard the
one about a French band doing a cover cd including Killing Joke's -
Pssyche?

Well I bought the cd through curiosity and I am so impressed and my all
time fav track by Killing Joke is covered brilliantly (IMO). i never
expected a band to cover it - but they have, and the arrangement is so
very dramatic - and so Bjork - human behaviour esque. Just too cool. If
you've heard it wadda ya think? Id like to know what the bands take on
it is.

Websites
http://www.peacefrog.com/artists/?view=67
http://www.nouvellesvagues.com/english/music.html

Nouvelle Vague.
Covers CD of Killing Joke, Joy Division, The Sisters of Mercy, The Cure,
Depeche Mode The Specials, The Clash tracks in a Bossa Nova style!!!

Track List:
Love will tear us apart
Just can't get enough
In a manner of speaking
Guns of Brixton
(This is not a) love song
too drunk to fuck
Marian
Making plans for Nigel
A forest
I melt with you
Teenage kicks
Psyche
Friday night, saturday morning

Their idea was to forget the initial punk or new wave background of each
song, keep simple fundamental chords, & work with young female vocalists
(six French, one Brazilian and one New Yorker) who had never heard the
original versions. The result is thirteen expertly curated cover
versions in a stunning combination of bossa nova, jazz and sixties pop -
Imagine the cocktail hour smooch of Astrid Gilberto, or Juliet Greco's
Rive Gauche croon - but from a darker, stranger parallel universe.
Yes, in theory, it might have been a novelty - even gimmicky - idea, but
forget about that (as anyone who gets swept along by the album's
hypnotic opening inevitably will). Instead, leave your prejudices at the
door, turn the volume up, sit back and prepare to swoon.

Its very much a chill / easy on the ear album/ beautiful vocals/cool
music & arrangements + that lovely French femme accent!u wait till ya
hear too drunk ta fuck

some trax i laughed at and some i had to take my 'beret' off to

too drunk to fuck is a blast, remember dancing and getting battered to
the original version, with this version u could ballroom dance to, the
arrangements are luuuurrveeely

have to admit that the French can be so cool