[kj] LATER WITH JOOLS

Patrick Davies Patrick.Davies at subsea7.com
Thu Oct 28 12:04:22 EDT 2004

WELCOME TO THE LATER WITH JOOLS NEWSLETTER, SERIES 24, PROGRAMME 3

NEXT SHOW, FRIDAY, 11.35PM, BBC2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/

Hello Music Lovers,

In tribute to a well loved man, a broadcasting legend and lover of music, we are dedicating this week’s show to Radio DJ John Peel who sadly died this week.

Who do we have in the studio this week?!

To kick us off I am very pleased to welcome back to Later, MANIC STREET PREACHERS. James, Sean and Nicky are back in fine form with their seventh  album, “Lifeblood”. They’ll be performing their current no. 2 hit from the album, “The Love of Richard Nixon” plus two other tracks from the album, “Empty Souls” and “Song for Departure”. It’s a real pleasure to have them back.

It’s a show of full of old friends this week! NICK CAVE returns with his backing band THE BAD SEEDS. Did you know that Nick has been on Later no less than 6 times! He’ll be playing tracks from his fantastic double album “Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus”. Nick will have three pianos on stage with him, a first for Later.

Caleb, Nathan and Jared Followill and their cousin Matthew make up rockin’ Tennessee guitar band, KINGS OF LEON. I’m pleased to welcome them back to Later and they will be delighting us all with tracks from their eagerly awaited second album “A-Ha Shake Heartbreak”, the follow up to their universally acclaimed debut album, “Youth and Young Manhood”.

Formerly of The Beat and Fine Young Cannibals, David Steele has been searching the world for the right voice that would be able to sing his songs. And in 24 year old Jonte Short, he has certainly found that voice. Jonte grew up singing in her local Baptist church in New Orleans and comes from a long line of respected and well known Christian gospel singers. The upshot of this collaboration is FRIED. Make sure you don’t miss them!

19 year old WILLY MASON comes from a background steeped in folk music. His parents are folk singers and his mother still releases records on a small North Carolina folk label. Born and bred in Martha’s Vineyard in Massachusetts, Willy left school last year and he’ll be making his TV debut on Later and be performing a lovely track called “Live It Up”.

I’m also pleased to welcome “The King of the Harmonica” BRENDAN POWER who’ll also be making his UK TV debut. I have never seen a player like him, check out Brendan’s new album “Tradish”.

I’ll also be chatting to the “best drummer in the world” RINGO STARR about his new book, “Postcards From The Boys”, a beautiful collection of postcards sent to Ringo from the other Beatles from all over the world and tells us more about the relationship between John, Paul, George and Ringo than any biography could ever hope to achieve.

Next week I’ll have PAUL WELLER, RAZORLIGHT, RONI SIZE (with Beverley Knight and Jocelyn Brown) and MORY KANTE, for your viewing pleasure.

Make sure you tune in this Friday night at 11.35pm on BBC 2

WHAT'S NEW ON THE WEBSITE:

COMPETITION!
WIN TICKETS TO THE SHOW! The weekly competition continues with a new easy peasy question on Friday. Until then you’ve still got time to enter this week’s competition.
You can win copies of the new Later…Hip Hop Soul DVD and find out more about all the acts that are appearing on this week's show.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/

INTERVIEWS:
You can still read last week’s backstage interviews with The Futureheads and Embrace. And there’s a new interview with The Kings Of Leon.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/interviews/