[kj] Rap, punk, & stuff

GregSlawson at aol.com GregSlawson at aol.com
Mon Oct 18 22:03:03 EDT 2004

Just borrowed a copy of a great book--"Our Band Could Be Your Life", a quote
that will be instantly recognizable to all hipsters & flipsters of stateside
punk/indie rock (The Minutemen--duh). I can't put it down--a great analylsis of
the 80s US indie scence, covering Black Flag, Minutemen, Mission of Burma
(who just reunited in Boston after about a 20 year absence), Butthole Surfers,
Sonic Youth, Husker Du, Minor Threat, Replacements, Dinosaur Jr, and a few other
bands. Get this book! It talks about how DIY is the true spirit of punk, and
about how those assholes in Nirvana ruined the whole thing with Nevermind,
which became a huge hit and ruined the indie scene.
Second, saw Public Enemy (and the original membes of Living Color opening)
last night in Boston. Great show--a total throwback to the late 80s. Small crowd
though. PE still rules! They had all the original members except for
Terminator X.
By the way, thousands of articles have been written about how punk definitely
started with the Ramones going to England in 1976 and influencing all the
other bands to form. Also, 90% of all music on the radio today is a DIRECT
influence from them, and would never have existed if that 1st album never got
released.