[kj] OT: The great Punk Debate

culturevirus culturevirus at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 20:43:00 EDT 2004

While I think that all "popular music" is nothing more
than the standing on the shoulders of a previous
generations giants, I've got to side with Alex on this
one. I must remind Rob that all the nihlism and up
yours attitude necessary can be found on the first
Ramones album.  A quick look at the song titles
reveals the following: "Beat on the Brat", "Judy is a
Punk" "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue", "Loudmouth" and
more. Enough teen angst for the rest of the 70's, the
Pistols didn't even need to attend the decade.
--- Alexander Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net> wrote:

> "I have always seen the Ramones as an update of the
> 60's garage bands.
> Great pop songs but never what I would term "punk"."
>
> ROB, MY BLOOD IS BOILING. I'M GOING TO FLY OVER TO
> ENGLAND AND KILL YOU
> AND BUILD A HOVERCRAFT WITH YOUR BONES AND SAIL BACK
> TO THE STATES ON
> IT.
>
> ALEX IN NYC..HELL BENT ON HOMICIDE
>

> On Sunday, October 17, 2004, at 05:10 PM, Rob's Arse
> wrote:
>

> > That's a good point Peter.
> >
> > I have teased Alex for ages about this, but I have
> always viewed the
> > Dolls as Glam. Trashy, yes but Glam.
> >
> > I have always seen the Ramones as an update of the
> 60's garage bands.
> > Great pop songs but never what I would term
> "punk".
> >
> > Punk is much more than the music. I love the
> nihilism of the Pistols
> > and the general "up yours" attitude. The WHY?
> That's why I belive that
> > Punk is English.
> >
> > You American guys had a good go though. Full marks
> for effort lads ;-)

=====
I am culturevirus