[kj] Sisters of Mercy

nicholas fitzpatrick gasw30 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 4 12:23:10 EDT 2004

I don't know much about them but here's an review from the Birmingham Post
last year that calls them shite:

April 24, 2003, Thursday

HEADLINE: FINAL VERDICT: ELDRITCH HORRORS;
SISTERS OF MERCY WOLVERHAMPTON CIVIC HALL

BYLINE: DIANE PARKES

BODY:
IT HAS been nearly 20 years since the release of First and Last and Always
launched the craze for Goth music with the Leeds-based Sisters firmly at its
forefront. With almost religious fervour, the faithful are still ready to
turn up and wave their bangled arms in the air. And lead singer Andrew
Eldritch should be grateful he has such a loyal following as any first
timers at this shambolic mess would be unlikely to turn up again.

The sound quality was so awful that my friend didn't even realise they had
played Alice, and First and Last and Always was only recognisable by a few
bars. The dry ice and smoke quickly became so thick that had Eldritch been
replaced by a hologram half way through the concert we would not have
realised. The gravel-voiced one threw out a handful of titbits to the crowd
including a rousing Temple of Love and a thrashing Anaconda. But if Eldritch
and co think the Sisters faithful will keep turning out for so poor a show
they could be sorely disappointed.