[kj] Pere Ubu in 3D Pool

Graeme Rowland crackedmachine at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 22 11:14:45 EST 2004

Eye Sis,
"IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE!"

Dylan sang allegorical wit about Isis that etched my
memory with the image of a cathedral shrouded in mist.
I bombed up the hills from Toxteth after machines and
buses failed, as I knew the fat American maestro
Thomas was already holding sway. I missed his intro
speech, except for some bad words about a sherrif.

3D glasses on for a good night of telescopic
observation of falling fiery alien craft. They hit the
planet burning, those one eyed oddities that are more
funny than fearsome. Whilst the band plays music that
keeps making me think "Mother Sky" by Can gone to live
in the diamond desert, these creatures mimic the forms
of human beings, as you call them.

There is also the small matter of the belligerent
sherrif and his posse, and some rocks bouncing out of
the screen to nowhere in particular. The song '92
degrees' by Siouxsie the Original Banshee Goth Lady
lifts the sherrif's dialogue from this film, just
before he gets punched in the mush by meek astronomer
hero.

Chris Cutler played the drums, and in all the music
Pere Ubu played would probably nicely fill a 40 minute
album. At times David Thomas did rants over the film,
but mostly it was an instrumental ride and the band
let silence ring when the film could speak for itself.
Lou Reed once sang electricity comes from other
planets, probably because he was a one eyed beast in
disguise.

Pere Ubu had ignition and the one eyed aliens left
peacefully thanks to the miracle of red green plastic.

=====
Cracked Machine irregular cyberzine
http://www.webinfo.co.uk/crackedmachine

"What one thinks of as extremes seldom are" :: BC Gilbert