[kj] 4 be 2's

Patrick Davies Patrick.Davies at subsea7.com
Tue Nov 16 03:37:45 EST 2004

Over the last few years been writing a book, a quick cut and paste..

Steve Riley and I had first met at a riotous affair at the Music Hall
where Jock MacDonald and the Four Be Two's were playing. Jock MacDonald
was a larger than life character who was promoting Jimmy Lydon, brother
of John of the Sex Pistols fame. From Kilburn in North London they were
contentious gigs at the best of times and when they started singing
Anarchy in the UK the place erupted. The support act had been Defiant
Pose from paisley, whose roadcrew were wearing Celtic football shirts as
direct provocation to the Aberdeen crowd whose football team had just
been knocked off the top place in the league or else in some act of
unification with the Irish background of the Lydon band. A week before
the Angelic Upstarts had played in the city and fighting broke out over
the football in which someone had been stabbed. Tensions were high.

During the gig the singer from Defiant Pose had been getting some grief
from a group of lads from Hilton in Aberdeen. Standing next to them I
hadn't really been paying that much attention and was more interested in
the copious amounts of dope on the go. Suddenly the singer had discarded
his guitar and jumped at Moonhead, a character not shy to trouble. All
around me everyone got laid into the singer and eventually he returned
somewhat in bad way to the stage.

During the encore for the Four By Twos the gig erupted once more and all
the Paisley lot got a kicking. I was up on the stage dancing away in
frenzy as they sang Anarchy in The UK when it kicked off. Someone had
taken a bass guitar over someone else's head. I saw a punk next to me
with Crass written on his jacket laying into someone and I pulled him up
raising the issue of why he had Crass and 'Anarchy & Peace' written on
his jacket and yet was putting the boot in. They are feignan bastards he
told me. The last I saw of the band was when they were taken away by the
police. That was my first encounter with Riley who had written Riley Bis
over every single bus stop in Aberdeen.

I cannot recall youth at all

ePat