[KJ] OT: Shriekback vs. Minutemen?

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 12 11:12:36 EST 2004

Oh please, that's like saying: "Filet Mignon sucks, try New Tide with
Bleach!"  Shriekback and the Minutemen couldn't possibly have less in
common and served entirely different ends. Moreover, Shriekback didn't
start to "suck" until their last couple of albums. Their peak pedigree
-- Barry from XTC, Lu from the Damned and Dave from Gang of Four -- was
a force to be reckoned with. If you can listen to, say, "Malaria" off
OIL & GOLD and maintain that they suck, then you and I will have to
strenuously agree to disagree.

The Minutemen were fine, but I always found them a bit too earnest for
my taste. That said, I still love BUZZ & HOWL..., particularly "Little
Man with a Gun in His Hand".

Alex in NYC